Ohio Media Trackers is reporting on a recent analysis of the coverage of Medicaid expansion by one of Ohio’s largest newspapers. The report covering the period from February 4 through June 18, demonstrates that The Columbus Dispatch was decidedly lopsided in reporting stories that were favorable to Medicaid expansion.
From the analysis:
- The Columbus Dispatch’s editors endorsed Medicaid expansion in January 2013 and published eight staff editorials in favor of expansion.
- “In 60 news stories, Dispatch reporters quoted a total of 114 Medicaid expansion supporters and only 40 critics.”
- “Governor Kasich’s false claims about Medicaid expansion were repeated in 8 news stories.”
- “In 6 different news stories, The Dispatch suggested foes of Medicaid expansion are motivated by heartless ideology.”
- “14 op-eds supported PPACA Medicaid expansion versus just 1 column from an opponent.”
- Outside letters to the editor, “…no commentator featured in The Dispatch after February 22 advised against expanding Medicaid.”